Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Simple Seitan Tacos with Roasted Corn & Sweet Pepper Relish, Sliced Avocados, and Homemade Smoky Salsa


I learned the technique for making this smoky salsa on a Martha Stewart DVD called Martha's Guests: Master Chefs, but I change it up a little every time I make it. I'll try out different peppers or squeeze a lime in it, or add some roasted corn or some cilantro. TCV suggests that you do whatever you are in the mood to do.


Homemade Smoky Salsa:

2 ripe whole tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic unpeeled
1 whole serrano or jalapeno
salt to taste
On high heat, heat up an iron skillet or any thick pan. Place all ingredients into the dry, hot pan. Turn ingredients to sear all sides so that their skins are black. Remove from the heat. Throw one tomato, both pieces of peeled garlic, and the pepper with the stem removed into a food processor and let 'er rip. Blend throughly. Next, add the remaining tomato and pulse until you like the consistency. Add salt. It is so simple that you will never, ever depend on a jar of crappy, store-bought salsa ever again as long as you live. Repeat after me, "I will never, ever buy another crappy jar of factory-made salsa as long as I live." Very good! TCV is proud of you.

2 comments:

Bianca said...

I'll have to try that salsa. It sounds so simple and awesome. Though I occasionally make homemade salsa, I'm a little addicted to those fancy jars of Cilantro Chipotle Roasted Garlic Peach Blueberry Applewood Salsa at Wild Oats. I made that up...but honestly, the more "flavorings," the more likely I am to buy it...

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Wow what a GREAT blog you have! I am in awe.

Lots of great ideas I'll be trying. (And bookmarking for future reference)

I like what you'v done with the Field Roast stuff. They're my favorite veg. product EVER (and even better they're local for me!)