Sunday, December 21, 2008

The New & Improved Portobello Mushroom

The grilled portobello is a staple on vegetarian menus everywhere. The problem is not the taste, it is a hearty stand in for nearly any meat. The problem is simply how it looks on the plate. When grilled, the mushroom is dark and flat. You can cover it up, but that defeats the purpose of presenting it as the main course. So, I decided to try to figure out a way to bring out the mushroom's inherent beauty. This may sound silly, but we do eat with our eyes. It has to look good people.

I simply took my knife and scored the top of the mushroom before I grilled it. Using my sharpest blade, I drug the knife across the face of the mushroom only allowing it to sink about 1/4 of the way through. I made a "tic-tac-toe" pattern using this method. Then grill as you normally would. I like to put mine on a hot grill for about 5 minutes per side, then move it to indirect heat until I'm ready to serve. To plate the mushroom, fold two ends under towards the center. This will open up the grid and make for a beautiful presentation. Here it is served with cauliflower risotto and little leek onion rings. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every time I read your blog I want to lick the computer screen. That would be inappropriate in any setting, however, the yumminess is palpable. I can't wait to try the portobello trick.

Bianca said...

What a great idea! Last time I made portabella steaks, they were so ugly! I will try your method next time.

Anonymous said...

The cookies are such a spot-on representation. Especially TCV's.
-bianca

Chris said...

Without a doubt we eat with our eyes (and our wallets!). What an excellent idea - this is definitely worth the extra effort, even for an everyday dinner. Great post.