Monday, December 8, 2008

Redemption Stew Served in a Kombucha Squash Bowl

Here is a fun idea for you. Next time you make stew for dinner make it special with squash. After a post-marathon fried food bender, I began looking in the fridge for fresh food with bright colors. I piled my cutting board full of carrots, mushrooms, parsnips, fingerling potatoes, celery, fresh herbs, tomatoes, beans, red onions, and kombucha squash. I began chopping vegetables, and throwing them into my new cast iron pot. I browned up some seitan and threw it in for good measure. I added enough broth to cover, secured the lid, set it to simmer, and watched The Simpsons. When my show was over, I noticed that I had left the squash out of the stew, so I cut it in half, seeded it, and roasted it in a 375 degree oven for about 25 minutes. In the meantime, I siphoned off the broth from the stew to make some rice in a different pot. This makes the stew extra thick and the rice rich and flavorful. 

To serve I placed a roasted squash bowl in the center of a plate, then spooned in some of my rice. I topped that with a heaping helping of my redemption stew and some aged parm. 

3 comments:

Michael Hughes said...

Redeeeemption stew, its all I've ever had.

Bianca said...

First of all, congrats on the marathon! Good job and great cause!

On the squash bowl, it looks wonderful. I have yet to try the squash as a bowl thing. But remember when we ate that kabocha squash at the Farm? Remember how freakin' good it was? I tried to re-create that at Thanksgiving, and um, it was just okay. It got a little dried out in the roasting, even though I coated generously with olive oil...:-(

BTW, how come your citrus head is so much bigger than Amy's?

tavolini said...

mmm stew. I've got all my stew ingredients sitting in my fridge, glaring at me...