Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Roasted Corn and Grilled Crookneck Squash Soup


Soup in the summer? That's right. Even when it's hot outside, there is nothing more delicious than taking a bounty of summer-fresh vegetables and blending complementary flavors together to make a hearty meal. I knew this is what I was going to do as soon as I opened my CSA from Whitton Farms. Ears of fresh corn and huge yellow squash tumbled out of the bag as I set it on my counter. I fired up the grill and sprang into action. My favorite thing to do with summer soup is to add a smoky character by first grilling the vegetables outside. So that is exactly what I did for this summer corn soup.

Makes 2-4 servings:
4 ears of corn (shucked)
2 yellow crookneck squash (sliced 1/4 in thick)
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 jalapeno (minced)
1 chipotle pepper
1/2 onion (chopped)
3 cloves garlic minced)
tablespoon flour
1/4 stick butter
4 sage leaves
1 Not-chicken boullion cube
3 cups water
olive oil
salt & pepper
On your outside grill over high heat, char the red and yellow bell peppers until completely black and then transfer them to a paper sack to cool. Brush olive oil onto the corn and squash. Grill both over high heat until nice grill marks appear. (This should take about 3 minutes per side.) Remove vegetables from the grill and allow to cool. In a large soup pot, add the butter, garlic, sage, and onion. Cook over medium until onion is translucent. Add the flour and cook for two minutes more. Cut the kernels off the corn cobs. Remove the burnt skins and seeds from the roasted peppers. Add yellow pepper, corn, squash, boullion, jalapeno, and chipotle to the pot. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup to your liking. Heat the soup through, and it is ready to go.

I topped mine with the diced roasted red pepper, crumbled goat cheese, fresh green onion, and crispy tortilla sticks. I made the tortilla sticks by slicing a whole wheat tortilla into thin strips, coating them with a tablespoon of olive oil, and toasting them in a 350 degree oven for 6 minutes.

1 comment:

thedalyn said...

I was wondering what to do with my bounty of squash and corn when I saw this recipe, so I made it for an impromptu gathering. Initially I thought it was a lot of work because i hate to grill, but this was soooo good!