Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The First Summer Tomato

My buddy Van Cheeseman of Flora Farms gave me the first ripe tomato out of his high tunnel. I hung on to that special treat for a few days all the while trying to decide what to do with it. All of a sudden, it dawned on me: go on and eat it! Slice that sucker up and top it with a little sea salt and cracked black pepper. Well, that is just what I did today. It had all the punch and acidity that you would expect from a ripe summer tomato. Delicious.

I'm looking forward to taking home boxes full of Arkansas Traveler, Cherokee Purple, Jet Star, Green Zebra, and Super Nova tomatoes. We're also growing a few different varieties at home in our raised bed. So what is your favorite tomato variety?

4 comments:

whitneyingram said...

That is the sexiest looking tomato I have ever seen.

I like good ol' Roma tomatoes. I like that they hold their shape well.

Bianca said...

Oooh, I'm jealous. I've been getting hydro tomatoes from Micmack Farms, and though tasty, nothing beats a summer tomato...especially the first one of the season. Fave variety? I like those little heirloom cherry tomato mixes from Whitton Farms. I guess that's a mix of varieties, but those are the best.

Mel Spillman artwork said...

I can't wait for tomatoes! My Grandfather JuJu (rest his soul) used to grow the best tomatoes I have ever had.

laputain said...

My boyfriend met me off the train last night as I came home from Glasgow having just sat my first medical exams. (First year over, woot!)

We were walking down the hill and he was all 'I've got a little present for you' and pulled from his pocket a body-warm baby plum tomato; we picked up two boxes of toms from a nursery in Carluke in the west of scotland at the farmers' market on saturday. they are the nicest tomatoes I have ever had without them having come off the plant in my parents garden. It was a super-duper present!