Sunday, March 20, 2011

Nigella Kitchen: Recipes From the Heart of the Home

This is a different kind of cookbook. Every recipe has a story, and the voice of it is really engaging and true.

(On a whim, I made Nigella's blueberry-cornmeal muffins from pg. 243-4 this weekend, and I got text messages from the fam telling me how spectacular they were. Now that's a good recipe!)

I also like how she never wastes a thing and how she's quite into the experience of cooking at home for the people she loves. Having picked this up at the library this week -- trying to read a book a week is a new goal, so I need a lot of options -- I am so glad I gave it a chance. It seems like a collection of essays, not just recipes. What a wonderful read!

5 comments:

vegtime said...

I have watched her on the cooking channel and love her cooking. This cookbook definitely would be worth buying!

Nadia said...

Interesting! Ill have to check it out!

chocolategirl64 said...

her descriptions are so amusing: lots of 'ness' words:
although she slightly gets on my nerves with her innuendo on screen, the recipes are good:
cakes to die for and baked many times in my house:

laputain said...

I don't much like her on tv but I love her books. Feast is a great one for explanations and stories. When I could still call myself a food blogger (now just a beleaguered student and desperate to get back in the kitchen!) I cooked the entirety of Nigella Express (pre-Julie and Julia, I should like to add!)- a slightly cheaty book with many shortcuts but still with some cracking recipes.

Have been avoiding Nigella Kitchen because I don't have time for it in my life right now. I look forward to the day I do, for myriad reasons :o)

Mel Spillman artwork said...

I love Nigella Lawson! Her recipes are easy and comforting. I love how she is not afraid to stand in front of the refrigerator door at midnight eating leftovers :) and that she is not so thin that we wonder if she eats at all.

I have little respect for "size 0" chefs.